Emerging IT Leader Program
Emerging IT Leader Program
Helps IT managers accelerate career success while avoiding common pitfalls and mis-steps.
What does it take to become a true IT leader, contributing to successful business outcomes? This intensive 5-day program is delivered by an outstanding faculty of real-world executives and IT leaders. They share concepts and techniques critical to career advancement, and avoiding common pitfalls and mis-steps … insights the instructors wish they had learned early in their own careers! Gain the benefits of their experience to help you think and act like an IT leader, so you can take the next critical step in your career.
- Gain new insights into the practical challenges of IT leadership, and the business executive view of IT
- Develop collaboration and engagement skills for IT and business environments
- Build skills to make effective decisions, build convincing plans and deliver consistent results
- Learn to understand and manage customer perceptions and needs
- Establish and manage expectations and deliver on them with real business outcomes
4 or 5 days
- Module 1 is 4 days
- Module 2 is a 1-day Business Decision Workshop held 30 days later. (Note that this module is not offered for all occurrences of the program.)
Who Should Attend
- Mid-level IT managers
- IT professionals being groomed for a management role in IT
- IT professionals or mid-level managers who interact with senior line-of-business managers
- IT professionals or managers responsible for the business value of IT solutions
MODULE 1: 4-Day Workshop-Style Program
The IT Leader: An Inside View
What are the key components of IT Leadership? What activities drive the success of your client/business leadership team? Where are the gaps, and how do you gain a real understanding and apply them to your role?
- Discover which areas you should enhance to improve your personal effectiveness and success
- Understand how business goals/objectives drive expectations for projects and outcomes
- Define how IT professionals need to respond to business expectations
- Interpret key behavioural traits that are critical to becoming an effective business partner
- Identify key actions successful leaders should take to strengthen their capabilities
- Identify specific actions you can take to understand and clarify your own developmental needs
Gaining Buy-In From Stakeholders
Sometimes a good solution or approach, well communicated and enacted, is better than a perfect solution that no one understands or will completely appreciate.
- Build skills and confidence in how to deliver ideas clearly and effectively, and gain buy-in
- Learn how to clearly communicate requirements or goals
- Know what to do when you are not being understood or supported
- Seek and accept critical feedback and take remedial action to turn it into a positive outcome
- Set realistic expectations for your plans
Performance within a Team or Matrix
Disharmonious relationships are far too common in IT/business situations. Many people find themselves in a constant state of conflict and disagreement with their team members – often requiring drastic action.
- Understand what contributes to development of high-performing teams
- Outline personal and relationship obstacles to team success
- Learn to assemble and support high-performing teams that quickly accomplish real results
- Learn how to establish shared ownership and accountability between IT and business
- Develop and assess the steps needed to promote real change in your area of responsibility
Managing Change through Effective Execution
What actions can or should you take to make a difference? How and where do you start? What alternatives do you have to make effective change happen?
- Identify and act on positive change with the end goal of getting things done
- Follow through on commitments which will enhance your credibility
- Build a step-by-step transition plan for personal success that is realistic and actionable
Engagement Skills to Effectively Sell Your Ideas
Being able to speak to business clients – and influence their behavior – is a critical leadership skill. This session will help build these skills and make sure there are no surprises.
- Understand the ‘Business Mandate’ for success of a project
- Learn techniques to influence others through skilled, persuasive presentations
- Cultivate impactful thought approaches relevant to a variety of situations
- Understand how to pre-influence and prepare for handling objections
Realizing Business Financial Basics to Accurately Measure Success
Among the most critical skills for any IT person is the ability to understand the financial processes that drive business projects. Successful projects require leaders with that kind of insight and understanding.
- Understand key financial issues and how to apply them to your projects
- Gain an understanding of key business financial terms
- Understand how to assess financial risk and common steps to minimize exposure
- Influence financial decision-making, from an IT perspective, to achieve successful business outcomes
- Appreciate the constraints and impacts of financial operations in the IT environment
Clearly Understanding the Customer
Who is the customer … really? What do they want/expect/demand from you and your organization? How and where do you gain this knowledge?
- Understand the real customer view
- Develop techniques to gain customer awareness and become truly customer-focused
- Create a customer approach that is both personal and relevant to your role and/or line of business
- Create value for both the client and your organization
- Develop skills to educate your team and build greater business focus
Case Study – Practicum and Evaluation
Use a case study that is relevant to the course outcomes. Participants work in teams to create a suitable response and solution. The team’s results will be used by each participant as the basis of your answer to an evaluation question.
Create an Immediately Actionable, Measurable Plan
The learning from this program is highly practical and tactical. Now, how are you going to use what you’ve learned to drive measurable results toward your personal and organizational goals? This session takes you through an action planning process in which you identify, report, deliver and measure the critical activities that need to happen NOW!
- Make an immediate impact by identifying the actions that must be taken right away to start delivering results within 30 days
- Apply rigorous critical analysis to the 30-day plan to ensure it is credible, realistic and consistent with personal and organizational goals
- Build a commitment presentation for sharing the 30-day plan with management, peers and stakeholders
- Commit to delivering results that will be evaluated in Module 2
MODULE 2: Business Decision Workshop. (Not offered for all occurrences of the program.)
This 1-day module, delivered approximately 30 days after the completion of the initial 4-days, takes students to their next level of competence in solving real and immediate business challenges.
- Build business problem solving skills through development of a higher level of understanding of the four key elements of the business communication process
- Learn how to recognize and avoid the most common pitfalls of everyday business communication
- Master the skills required to quickly simplify a complex business problem and bring it to the best possible resolution, even while under time and delivery expectation pressure
- Apply the learning to develop immediately actionable options for approaching current business challenges on return to work